This award is now PATREON funded! Due Sunday 3 September 2017
SAVILE ROW ROW AWARD
Note this shortlist was combined with the Get Out of Jail Free Award. Find it here.
We wanted to encourage authors with this award, so the date has been extended and it’s now Patreon funded!
On High Street it’s not just the prices that are over the top. Using your best satire, compose a story as though written for a early to mid 20th Century tabloid about temperatures running high in a fashion district, among celebrities, or some other fashion related hi-jinx. You may look to Hedda Hopper for inspiration, for example, but also as character for criticism and ridicule.
Be sure to include:
- A nod to the fashions of the time
- A sense of dramatic irony for the reader
- A critique of fashion and celebrity culture
- Written in the style of a gossip column or some such.
- An approach that acknowledges issues present in the era
You may make the themes, cultural and technology elements modern, provided the ‘genre style’ is met.
The story should be written in the style of a gossip column from early to mid 2oth Century paper.
550 words max. No minimum word count
This story is due 3rd September 2017.
You must be a backer of our Patreon award prize pool to enter. Minimum $1. Find out more here.
- First prize receives 5000 words feedback from NiTH team on a story or manuscript of your choosing.
- All entries receive feedback from judges by request.
- All entries receive a share of the Patreon prize pool.
A cover image is no longer a prerequisite, but we still love them. All cover images must be in 4:3 format landscape (not portrait). Most photo editing programs give you that option. If you’re using your phone, try the Snapseed app, it has lots of cool features as well. Another recommendation is Pixlr.
If including a cover image, ensure that you own the rights to that image or that you have permission, or that the image carries a free license. Make the filename of the image the name of your story and include a backlink to the source in the body text at the bottom of your story.
In the body text:
- Author name
- Award name
(Optional) Intro – 150 characters
Having problems submitting? Contact Us!